Thursday, March 10, 2011

To Sublet or Not to Sublet.... Really, There's NO Question!

So I know this isn't really a beauty post but it is related to my journey into the industry. As you know, I will be interning this summer in New York City and for the past week, all I can think about is... where the heck am I going to stay!? Many of my friends have lived in dorms in the past, especially Long Island University, however, being vegan, I'm hesitant to stay anywhere where I won't have a kitchen to cook my meals. Not to mention, if I was not into beauty I would going to culinary school. Back in Wisconsin I worked at a bakery for 4 years and a grocery store for 2.5 years. I even competed in food marketing competitions. Lets just say I'm into food.

Moving on... I really want to find an apartment to sublet that is fully furnished and I can just roll my clothes and toothbrush in and be set. I've already decided to stay with two girls from Howard but let me tell you, its hard to find a nice place... I take that back ANY PLACE... for under $800 a month. Luckily, I have found a few places in Harlem and even one gem on the Upper West Side! Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the owner.

I'm worried a little bit about renting from Craigslist... but that seems to be where the best deals are. I just keep thinking what if they steal the deposit and there is not an apartment at all! Not to mention this place is really nice and for the price that it is going for, I'm worried it might be too good to be true. Lets hope not!

I applied to stay at the Fashion Institute of Technology dorms but let me tell you... They are expensive! Can you believe that it averages out to being $325 a week! The nice thing is that they are in prime location to L'Oreal. NYU dorms don't come much cheeper at $265.

I think I'm going to try and use my resources to see if family knows anyone that would rent out a room or something for the cheep. You know what would be great low key... If I could live in one of those really fancy houses and be a house sitter. They might actually pay me to do it too! If only they had a website searching for those type of people but I'm sure thats the type of "you have to know someone" opportunity.

This just in... I officially heard back from the recruiter telling me she received my signed faxed offer letter! Yay! its in and so am I!

XOXO
Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment